Thursday, October 12, 2006

Just got back from the chiropractor to be treated for torticollis. Yee ha. I've seen my God-like doc for over 5 years now for a chronic neck/back problem. Basically, my muscles tense up and pull my spine out of alignment. Usually, the result is a slow, increasingly painful, dull ache, and a limitation of movement. Today was A-freaking-CUTE! All that I did was stretch/twist a bit in the shower this morning, and, by doing so, I aggravated my already slightly stuck condition. I've done this before.....not by stretching/twisting in the shower exactly......but by other movements so I've been here before.

from http://www.emedicinehealth.com/torticollis/article_em.htm
Torticollis is one of a broader category of disorders that exhibit flexion, extension, or twisting of muscles of the neck beyond their normal position. In torticollis your neck tends to twist to one side. The condition can either develop slowly if you have a family history of the disorder, acutely from trauma, or as an adverse reaction to medications.

Bending or twisting your neck too far can lead to acute torticollis. This condition appears with few symptoms, although often you will appear uncomfortable and will hold your head straight or rotated to one side. It will hurt to move your head to the opposite side. Your neck muscles on the side that hurts often are tender to the touch. The doctor will check your nerve and motor function to rule out spinal cord injury.


Now, with two days before my assessment, I was advised to not go to practice or I'll lose my adjustment. Losing it would not be good for lots of reasons. Namely, I have my assessment to make it through Saturday morning, but I also have my 20th high school reunion this weekend. I'd hate to be miserable through these weekend activities.

After 8 months and 7 days, I should say that I'd better be ready for this damn assessment. Hopefully, the requirements to pass haven't changed too much on me. I can *do* everything on the list, but I just hope that I do it the way that's now required to pass it.