Thursday, April 11, 2002

Well, I did it......finally.....on the *last* day.

Did what?....you're probably thinking.

I called 1-800-962-9862. Do you know what that number is? It's the number to call to reach WUNC 91.5 to pledge my support during their Spring fundraiser.

I love National Public Radio. I never thought I'd be so interested in the news and talk radio, in general, as I have become in the past few months. I was a die-hard Bob & Madison listener for ~6 years when Andrew came along. He wakes up to NPR, listens to it almost exclusively in the car, etc. Basically, being with him meant that I couldn't avoid NPR.

I had my chance to get on the NPR bandwagon much sooner actually. My dear friend Rachel listens to them religiously, and it is she that actually introduced me to it ~10 years ago. 10 years. I could have been listening for 10 years, instead of ~4 months. Silly me.

Thanks to NPR, I can now say that I know what is going on in the world. I've learned a lot in the past few months that I, too, have been an NPR junkie. For example, I can now actually say that I understand what is going on in Israel & Palestine. However, I've also learned about Southern dialects, an endangered woodpecker species, & the history of salt. I've benefited from the information that I got from People's Pharmacy. I've laughed my butt off at those crack-smokin' Car Talk guys and zany Michael Feldman & his silly show. And, I finally know what the heck all the hullabaloo was about when the book Lake Wobegon Days came out ~15 years ago when I was working at Ladds'. Lastly, I've fallen in love with David Brower, Carl Castle, Ann Taylor, Corey Flintoff, Leoneda Inge, Sylvia Pajolie, etc. (please, pardon my spellings.) and find that the sound of their voices is like the sound of a trusted friend.

So....thank you, NPR, for great programming. Here's my pledge. Now, give me my T-shirt.